Terms of Reference (TOR) for Consultancy for the Development of the Health Sector Gender Policy
Health policies and programs have tended to focus on biological and clinical aspects of diagnosis, treatment and prevention. A gender approach in health, while not excluding biological factors, considers the critical roles that health determinants such as social and cultural factors and power relations between women/girls and men/boys play in promoting and protecting or impeding health.
The Government of Kenya through the Ministries of Health and in collaboration with UNFPA would like to procure a consultant to guide in the development of a Health Sector Gender policy. The aim of the policy is to contribute to the achievement of gender equality in health status and health development through research, policies, and programs which give due attention to gender differences in health and its determinants, and actively promote equality between women and men.
2. The Objectives of the Consultancy are to:
- Produce an Inception Report detailing the work plan and methodology to be used.
- Consult with all relevant stakeholders in the areas of Health and Gender including line government ministries, civil society organization and development partners in developing the policy.
- Consult and report to an identified working group overseeing the process.
- Develop the Policy, providing a draft and final report of the policy in soft and hard copies
3. Qualifications of Consultant.
- At least a Masters/Postgraduate degree in Public Health, Gender, Development or other Social Science.
- At least 5years work experience in Gender and Health programs and policies.
- Familiarity with government systems and procedures, current health sector reform programs and Constitution of Kenya.
- Strong communication and report writing skills.
Expression of Interest
Interested Consultants (not firms) are invited to send a clearly marked separate technical proposal and a separate financial proposal in sealed bids to the under signed address no later than 8 February 2012 at 12.00pm. The technical proposal should explain the methodology, timeframe of the exercise and provide examples and profiles of similar work done in related fields. The financial proposal should contain the budget. The sealed envelopes containing the bids should be clearly labeled with the words "technical" or "financial" bid as well as the title of the consultancy: DEVELOPMENT OF THE HEALTH SECTOR GENDER POLICY.
United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
Block N Room 203, UN Complex Gigiri, PO Box 30218, 00100
A pre-bidding conference will be held on Tuesday 24 January 2012 at 10.00am at the UNFPA Offices, UN Complex Block N Room 207. Interested bidders wishing to attend the pre-bidding conference or deliver their bids need to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org a day in advance to make security arrangements to access the UN complex.