UNFPA Lao PDR
ESSAY CONTEST: PROMOTING RESPONSIBLE REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH BEHAVIOUR AMONG YOUNG PEOPLE
The Ministry of Planning and Investment (MPI) and UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, for third year in a row, are launching an essay contest to raise awareness about population issues within the youth in Lao PDR. The theme of the contest this year is "Promoting responsible reproductive health behaviour among young people" and is addressed to Lao upper secondary, university or college students and young people between 15-24 years old from all over the country.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED UNTIL OCTOBER 31ST, 2012
Reproductive Health implies that people are able to have a responsible, satisfying and safe sex life and that they have the capability to reproduce and the freedom to decide if, when and how often to do so. Implicit in this are the right of men and women to be informed of and to have access to safe, effective, affordable and acceptable methods of fertility regulation of their choice, and to appropriate health care services that will enable women to go safely through pregnancy and childbirth and provide couples with the best chance of having a healthy infant.
How does pregnancy happen? How can young people protect themselves from unintended pregnancy, sexually transmitted infections and HIV? As a young person, what do you see as your reproductive health rights? Where can you get information, or counseling and services on reproductive health matters? When do you feel young people are ready to start having their families? What can you suggest to decision-makers to improve the situation of young people in Lao PDR? What does it mean for you to be responsible about your reproductive health behaviour?
A) University/College Students
B) Upper secondary School Students
C) Young people between 15-24 years old
PRIZES: (for each category)
1st place: 2.000.000 KIP
2nd place: 1.500.000 KIP
3rd place: 1.000.000 KIP
Launching: June 7, 2012
Call for entries: June-July-August-September-October, 2012
Submission deadline: October 31st, 2012
Jury selection: November, 2012
Winner's announcement: November, 2012
• Elegibility: Lao nationals
• Essays should be written in Lao language.
• Submissions can be made by email (email@example.com), fax (021) 353051 or physical mail to the following address:
UNFPA. P.O.Box 345. Ban Phonesavanh Tai. Sisattanak District. Vientiane Capital, Lao PDR
• Essays should not exceed 5 pages of standard typed text. Font size: 11. Font type: Saysettha Unicode.
• Pages must be numbered.
• Essays should be written and submitted individually. Group essays are not allowed.
• Quotes and references must be clearly marked throughout the essay and properly cited.
• Each participant should fill the Essay Competition Entry Form or send a separate sheet of paper indicating: Name, Address, telephone and mobile numbers, E-mail (if available), Faculty/University/College or Grade/School or his/her age (if participating in the category C). Please note that essays without this information will be disqualified.
• The winners will be selected by the Essay Competition Steering Committee composed of the following organizations: National University of Laos, Ministry of Education and Sports, MPI and UNFPA. The selection will be completed by November 2012. The winners will be invited to present their essays during population forum by the end of 2012 followed by an award ceremony. A summary of the best essays will be published.